Rosebank House bed and breakfast - more about us
We are Aoife Sheridan and Jim Duff. We arrived at Rosebank in May 2014, moving from Musselburgh just outside Edinburgh.
Aoife is a theatre nurse and still works in various hospitals when time allows, mainly through the quieter winter months. She is originally from County Clare in Ireland.
Jim is a former journalist with the BBC among others. He is from Edinburgh but has family links with Glenisla in the hills north of Blairgowrie.
You may also meet Cara, the Rosebank hound.
Rosebank is an ongoing project, and probably will be for some time ...
The history of Rosebank
Rosebank House was built in 1836 by a Dundee shoemaker, David Borrie. Originally he also owned much of the land around Rosebank, but over the years that has been sold off and built upon. But the house retains a large and impressive garden.
David Borrie was a member of the Free Church of Scotland and a few days before his death in 1885 took communion in that church. But when he died, his will revealed he had left £2000 to the Methodist Church to build a new church in Rattray, and Rosebank to be used as the manse. That church still stands by the bridge over the Ericht into Blairgowrie. It was sold for development in 2015 and the Methodist Church has loaned us two impressively dour Victorian paintings of Mr Borrie and his wife.
At some point the Methodists split Rosebank into two between ground and first floors, adding an outdoor stairway at the back to access the upstairs. Rosebank became a bed and breakfast around 1960.